Black Friday…Cyber Monday…Giving Tuesday!
December 2 is #Giving Tuesday, a movement to kick off the holiday season by celebrating community and generosity. On this international day of giving, families, congregations, businesses, volunteers, and many others join together to support charities that are working to strengthen communities and help those who are less fortunate. Coming on the heels of Black Friday and Cyber Monday, Giving Tuesday serves as a reminder that this time of year is about a lot more than shopping – it’s a way to reflect on the values that are important to us and honor the spirit of generosity. If you are joining others across the country and the world on December 2 to give thanks by giving to others, we hope you will consider Hyacinth’s Place as your charity of choice. And it’s not just monetary contributions – there are lots of ways you can help out!
Small or large, your donation will make a difference in the lives of our residents. It will help us continue to deliver high-quality on-site services, combat the stigma associated with mental illness, homelessness, and domestic abuse, and advocate for the rights of people experiencing homelessness in D.C. What’s more, donations will help us launch our big 2015 initiative to extend our services to non-residents.
And honoring the spirit of generosity is not just about making a monetary contribution – far from it. Here are seven different ways you can lend your support to Hyacinth’s Place on December 2:
1) Make a monetary contribution. Even the most modest donations go far. Here are some ways your generosity will be put to good use:
You can donate here (just search Hyacinth’s Place and PayPal will match a portion of your gift).
2) Sign up to donate new or gently used items. Hyacinth’s Place also accepts donations of food, clothing, bed linens, towels, and certain furniture items. For more information, fill out this form.
3) Donate your time and sign up to volunteer. Become part of our volunteer team! We welcome all kinds of talents, from chefs to IT to grant writers – and so much more! It’s fun, fulfilling, and a great opportunity to meet other people who want to help in the community! To get started, fill out the application here.
4) Spread the word! Please help us spread the word about Hyacinth’s Place on social media (and word of mouth!). Below are sample tweets, Facebook posts, graphics, and a fact sheet that we encourage you to distribute far and wide. Even easier, just share our posts and Tweets!
6) Do your holiday shopping using Amazon Smile. Holiday shopping on Amazon? Browse using this link and Amazon will make a donation to Hyacinth’s Place for every purchase!
7) Be an advocate.
Those who live with mental illness and who experience homelessness face a lot of stigma, and it can prevent them from reaching out for help. The only way we can fight misconceptions is to talk about it. Use the time you spend with family and friends this holiday season to educate those close to you about these important issues!
Thank you, again, for your dedication to programs that make our communities stronger and enrich the lives of your fellow Washingtonians.
Warmest holiday wishes,
Joi and Vanessa
Hyacinth’s Place GivingTuesday Toolkit:
Sample Twitter Posts:
Sample Facebook Posts:
Happy #GivingTuesday! Celebrate generosity and strong communities by donating to Hyacinth’s Place, my favorite volunteer spot. We provide shelter, meals, and supportive services to homeless women. https://hyacinths.org/donate
#GivingTuesday isn’t just about donating money. There are lots of ways you can help Hyacinth’s Place provide the support services and life-skills trainings to homeless women. Find out how here:
Holiday shopping on Amazon.com? Browse using Amazon Smile, and Amazon will make a donation to Hyacinth’s Place! http://smile.amazon.com/ch/52-1410842
Feel free to use these graphics!